We are seeking reliable and creative volunteers to serve as Correspondents, who are tasked with carrying out and documenting interviews for Earth Refuge on a biweekly or monthly basis. As a Correspondent, your interviews will be published in our Faces tab on a rota, depending on the flow of external submissions. If you wish, you may also collect interviews from other interested individuals.
Climate change (and climate migration as its by-product) is a problem planetary in scope and we therefore want to make sure that not only all parties are heard, but that all perspectives are integrated into our brainstorming process as Earth Refuge grows. The aim of this project is to bring to light the testimony of climate migrants globally, experts in the field and those with the means to help. Faces hopes to humanise the problem, and amplify the voices of those concerned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Submit an interview in written, video or podcast format to Earth Refuge on a biweekly/monthly basis. The minimum length for a video interview is 3 minutes and for a written interview, 400 words.
- Reaching out to potential interviewees: climate migrants, those with the means to help (e.g. journalists, environmentalists, climate activists, individuals working at NGOs, firemen etc.), experts and professionals in the field of climate change and/or migration (e.g. professors, lawyers etc.) and other interested parties (e.g. sailors, eco-farmers etc.)
- The overall content must be related to climate migration, climate justice, environmental protection and displacement, international/regional environmental law and climate change, international/regional refugee law and climate change or topics and themes therein.
- You must run your stock questions and potential interviewees with the Co-Founders before beginning the interview process. We already have stock questions available which you may use as a template.
- Be mindful of the sensitivity of the topic, the fact that some interviewees prefer anonymity and be sensible about the nature of questions you choose to ask.
Requirements and Qualifications
- English proficiency
- An undergraduate degree in journalism or communications is desired, must at least be in final year of undergraduate degree regardless
- Demonstration of people skills/speaking with vulnerable individuals
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Up to date with current affairs
- Self-directed and able to work without supervision
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
- Reporting experience is preferred
If you are interested in becoming a Correspondent for Earth Refuge, apply both through LinkedIn and by sending an email with your desired role and name in the subject header to [email protected] (e.g., CORRESPONDENT – FULL NAME).
Please submit the following documents with your application:
CV/Resume; Cover Letter; details of one academic or professional reference; a short proposal for Faces content is welcome but not necessary.
Tipo de trabalho